- Sustained smoking abstinence resulted in substantial weight gain but also a large reduction in cardiovascular risk scores.
- Subgroup analysis of a randomized trial.
- Outpatient smokers with schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, or bipolar disorder.
- Completed 12-wk open-label smoking cessation intervention with varenicline.
- Those who achieved 12-wk abstinence then randomly assigned to 40 wk of varenicline or, placebo.
- Main outcomes at 52 wk: smoking status, cardiovascular risk score, weight change from baseline.